Advanced Underwriting Consultants

Question of the Day – March 9

Ask the Experts!

Here’s the question of the day.

Question: My client turns 70 ½ later this year.  Can she make a deductible IRA contribution for 2012?

Answer:  No.  Here’s an excerpt from IRS Tax Topic 451:

To contribute to a traditional IRA, you must be under age 70 1/2 at the end of the tax year.

Any contributions made to a traditional IRA for the year an individual attains age 70-1/2 or later is considered an excess contribution.  Excess contributions are not deductible, and are subject to a 6% excise tax.  The excise tax is an annual penalty that is imposed for as long as the excess contribution remains in the IRA.

Have a question for the professionals at AUC?  Feel welcome to submit it by email.  We may post your question and the answer as the question of the day.